Dental Council of Trinidad and Tobago



If you are dissatisfied with any aspect of the provision of dental treatment or the outcome of treatment, in order to resolve the issue, the FIRST course of action should be to make contact with the dental care provider. This is important as it may serve to clear up misunderstandings or give the dental provider a chance to remedy the situation. In your discussion, you should be clear as to the nature of your discontent and the outcome you are seeking. Often this is the most efficient way of resolving these matters.

If it is difficult for you to hold this discussion, you can consider writing a letter to your dental care provider. Other options include having someone accompany you or speak on your behalf. In the instance that you lost confidence in your dental care provider, you can suggest that you be referred to another practitioner. 

If your efforts to resolve the issue are unsuccessful, either because the provider is unwilling or unable to resolve the issue to your satisfaction, or you are unable to contact your provider THEN you may choose to contact the Dental Council to register your complaint.

Reporting a Matter

Your complaint should be clear, legible (preferably typed), dated and signed with a return postal address. An e-mail address would also be helpful. Use plain ordinary language to describe your complaint. Try to be as accurate as possible and include as much detail. 

Include the name of the dentist you are complaining about, the presence (or absence) of other persons present with you and the dentist. Dates and times of appointments or visits to the office and what was said by you and the dentist and copies of any notes, X rays, receipts, and anything else that you think is important.

Be clear about who the patient is, what was done and what your complaint is. Your letter must be signed and addressed to:

The Secretary,
Dental Council of Trinidad & Tobago,
Second Floor,
11-13 Fitzblackman Drive,
Wrightson Road Extension,
Port of Spain.

The Dental Council cannot act on verbal complaints made in person or over the telephone. We accept complaints via email with a  scanned signed copy of the complaint.  If a complaint is sent via email, a hard copy must then follow with signature and valid contact information. 

What happens next? 
Once the Secretary of the Dental Council receives your letter, he will write to you acknowledging receipt of your letter, setting out the process that is to be followed. He will also write to the dentist(s) involved, sending a copy of your letter and asking for their comments within 30 days (a requirement of the Dental Act and Regulations).

Upon receiving the dentist's reply, it is copied and sent to you for your further commentary. Once again, your comments will be sent along to the dentist.

At this stage, the Dental Council will hold an Initial Screening, to determine if there is sufficient cause for further inquiry. If it is decided that there is enough evidence to make a prima facie case against the dentist, then he will be advised of the charges against him. A sworn statement will be taken from the complainant who will act as a witness. 

The Council must appoint an Adjudication Panel, which will inquire into whether the dentist is guilty of unprofessional conduct as alleged. The dentist may be represented by a lawyer. You may also choose to be represented by a lawyer of your choice and at your expense. 

If a lawyer does not accompany you, then the Council will ensure that you are not at any disadvantage during the process. Once completed, a report will be forwarded to the Dental Council along with recommendations for any sanctions to be applied against the dentist.

Click link below to view a flowchart of the process of handling a complaint received from a member of the public alleging unprofessional conduct. 

Complaint from a member of the public alleging unprofessional conduct (1).pdf (

Resolution by Council
Council (with a quorum of 5 members) will then decide on the appropriate disciplinary action to be imposed under Section 29(2) of the Dental Profession Act. It may reach a decision immediately or decide that the inquiry was insufficient, requiring further consideration. 

How we Deal with Complaints

The Dental Council is able to impose any of the three penalties listed below:

1. Reprimand

2. Suspend

3. Remove from register.

Public safety is an absolute priority in all cases. We do not have any powers to award damages or costs or to impose discipline. We decide whether an issue of incompetence or unprofessional conduct exists and take appropriate action, including determining whether the practitioner poses a risk of serious harm to the public. 

Anonymous Complaints

We will not act on an anonymous complaint. The Act and the principles of natural justice require that the complainant participates in the process.

Make a Complaint / Report a Matter[\section]


What should be reported?

If you believe that your dentist is guilty of unprofessional conduct and there is proof, the matter should be reported to the DCTT.

Examples of unprofessional conduct include:

  • Alcohol intoxication
  • Under the influence of drugs
  • Poor treatment
  • Lack of patient consent for treatment
  • Criminal matters
  • Cross-infection issues
  • Advertising

Other matters worth reporting

Suspicion of any person posing a dentist or dental auxiliary. This includes:

Improper use of name or title to suggest that he is a dentist or a dental auxiliary
Advertises himself to be a dentist or dental auxiliary
Engages in the practice of dentistry

Make a Complaint / Report a Matter[\section]


The Dental Council is the body that regulates the practice of dentistry in Trinidad and Tobago. This is important as the Council can determine what qualifications are necessary to attain a dental license.  By doing so, the Council works to ensure that all dental practitioners meet a certain standard, and the public feels safe.  

Many unlicensed dental practitioners (commonly referred to as 'quacks.') are operating in Trinidad and Tobago.  Most of these have little to no formal training in treating patients; many may be trained as dental technicians. There is no way for the Council to monitor these persons or for anyone to ensure proper procedures or standards. Furthermore, if problems arise with treatment, it is difficult for patients to seek redress with the Council.

At present there are two categories of persons are recognized by the Dental Council who can provide dental treatment legally to patients:

Dental Nurses: work in government clinics, treat children up to 12 years old.
Dentists: Able to provide all forms of dental treatment either in a public or private setting.

To ensure your dental care provider is registered, please check the list of registered dentists on this website. Also every dentist should have displayed in her office a registration certificate and an annual practicing certificate. You can ask to see them tas proof of registration.